spacetoday.net: space news from around the webin association with SpaceNews


UK narrows list of potential spaceport sites
Posted: Wed, Mar 4, 2015, 7:26 AM ET (1226 GMT)
UK spaceport illustration (UKSA) The British government announced Tuesday it has cut two sites from a list of eight potential locations for a commercial spaceport, but at least two of the remaining locations may no longer be interested in hosting launches. The government, in its response to criteria prepared last year by the Civil Aviation Authority that included a shortlist of eight sites, said two of them, RAF Lossiemouth and Kinloss Barracks, would not be considered because of their military uses. A third base, RAF Leuchars, would be limited to temporary use as a spaceport. Of the five remaining sites, the public corporation that owns or operates two of them said it had no plans to submit spaceport proposals for them. The British government has indicated it would like to have at least one commercial spaceport, capable of supporting suborbital spacecraft and air-launch systems that takeoff and land horizontally, in operation by 2018.
<<previous article   next article>>
news in brief
Kepler goes into safe mode as fuel runs low
Posted: Sun, Jul 8 9:43 AM ET (1343 GMT)

Inmarsat rejets EcoStar takeover bid
Posted: Sun, Jul 8 9:42 AM ET (1342 GMT)

Shuttle-era engine tested for DARPA spaceplane
Posted: Sun, Jul 8 9:41 AM ET (1341 GMT)

news links
Sunday, August 19
Spy satellite chief weighs in on reforms
POLITICO — 9:26 am ET (1326 GMT)
Editorial: Space travel still a fearful prospect
New Zealand Herald — 9:21 am ET (1321 GMT)


about spacetoday.net   ·   info@spacetoday.net   ·   mailing list