spacetoday.net: space news from around the webin association with SpaceNews


Space Force to add a third company in next launch competition
Posted: Fri, Jul 21, 2023, 9:04 PM ET (0104 GMT)
Vulcan launch vehicle illustration (ULA) The US Space Force said it changed its plans for the next phase of the National Security Space Launch (NSSL) competition because of concerns about a shortage of rockets. The Space Force said last week it would add a third provider to NSSL Phase 3's "Lane 2" for more demanding missions. At a briefing this week, officials said they were concerned that growing demand for launch services would make it difficult for them to carry out all their missions with just two providers. The third provider would get just seven of the 58 missions planned for Lane 2: five GPS launches and two direct-to-geostationary launches. The other two providers will split the remaining 51 launches on a 60-40 basis.
<<previous article   next article>>
news in brief
White House releases new space transportation policy
Posted: Sat, Aug 22 7:56 AM ET (1156 GMT)

Rocket Lab launches Japanese SAR satellite
Posted: Sat, Aug 22 7:53 AM ET (1153 GMT)

NASA and Katalyst Space call off Swift reboost attempt
Posted: Sat, Aug 22 7:50 AM ET (1150 GMT)

news links
Sunday, August 23
A SpaceX Rocket Is This Island’s Most Talked About Visitor
Wall Street Journal — 8:49 am ET (1249 GMT)
Alan Joyce’s Musk monopoly warning over in-flight Wi-Fi
Sydney Morning Herald — 8:44 am ET (1244 GMT)


about spacetoday.net   ·   info@spacetoday.net   ·   mailing list