spacetoday.net: space news from around the webin association with SpaceNews


Business briefs: July 25
Posted: Fri, Jul 26, 2002, 7:53 AM ET (1153 GMT)
  • Astrium announced Thursday that it has won a contract to deliver a previously-built communications satellite to a new customer. Hellas-Sat will be delivered to a Greek-Cypriot organization of the same name; it will be used to provide TV broadcasting services for the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens. The satellite was originally known as K-TV and intended for New Skies Satellites, but was held up in a dispute between Astrium, New Skies, and Astrium subcontractors. The announcement was made the same day that BAE Systems announced it was selling its 25 percent share of Astrium to EADS for 165 million euros (US$165 million). EADS already owns the other 75 percent of Astrium.
  • Arianespace said Thursday that it has signed a contract with the French space agency CNES to launch a reconnaissance satellite. Helios 2A is scheduled for launch into polar orbit in 2004 on an Ariane 5. The satellite is the first in a series of second-generation reconnaissance satellites operated by France in cooperation with several other European nations.
  • The Ukrainian government approved plans this week to develop a new version of the Tsiklon launch vehicle as part of a joint venture with Brazil. The Tsiklon-4 will be an improved version of the Tsiklon-3, a medium-capacity launch vehicle. Ukraine hopes to use the Alcantara launch facility in Brazil for the Tsiklon-4. The total cost of the Tsiklon-4 will be US$180 million, with Ukraine paying half.
<<previous article   next article>>
news in brief

"Monster" planet puzzles astronomers
Posted: Sun, Nov 5 10:14 AM ET (1514 GMT)

Chairman of House Science Committee to retire
Posted: Sun, Nov 5 10:13 AM ET (1513 GMT)

news links
Thursday, November 23
Cover Story: The ultimate frontier market
The Edge Daily (Malaysia) — 1:58 am ET (0658 GMT)
Next-generation weather satellite in orbit, gets new name
Huntsville Times — 1:56 am ET (0656 GMT)
Successful First International Moon Village Workshop at ISU
International Space University — 1:53 am ET (0653 GMT)
The Short Life and Death of a Space Tourism Company
Air & Space — 1:51 am ET (0651 GMT)
Building for a Future in Space
University College Dublin Observer — 1:47 am ET (0647 GMT)


about spacetoday.net   ·   info@spacetoday.net   ·   mailing list