spacetoday.net: space news from around the webin association with SpaceNews


MAVEN cleared for Monday launch to Mars
Posted: Sat, Nov 16, 2013, 7:14 AM ET (1214 GMT)
MAVEN spacecraft illustration (NASA) NASA said Friday that its latest mission to Mars has passed its final reviews and is ready for launch on Monday, weather permitting. The Mars Atmosphere and Volatile EvolutioN mission (MAVEN) passed a launch readiness review on Friday, NASA officials said, the last major review before launch. The Atlas 5 rocket carrying MAVEN will roll out to the pad at Cape Canaveral on Saturday morning for a launch scheduled for 1:28 pm EST (1828 GMT) Monday. Weather is the primary concern for the launch, with a 60% chance of acceptable weather Monday, falling to 40% or less on Tuesday and Wednesday as a storm front passes through. MAVEN will enter Mars orbit next September on a mission to study the planet's atmosphere and, in particular, help scientists understand what happened to the much thicker, warmer atmosphere Mars had early in its history.
<<previous article   next article>>
news in brief
SpaceX launches Starlink satellites
Posted: Fri, Nov 27 11:07 AM ET (1607 GMT)

China launches lunar sample return mission
Posted: Fri, Nov 27 11:03 AM ET (1603 GMT)

Relativity Space raises $500 million
Posted: Fri, Nov 27 10:58 AM ET (1558 GMT)

news links
Wednesday, December 2
Third Accident Strikes Arecibo Observatory
Aviation Week — 6:48 am ET (1148 GMT)
China’s Chang’e 5 mission has successfully landed on the moon
Technology Review — 6:47 am ET (1147 GMT)
China Space Agency: Lunar Probe Successfully Lands on Moon
Voice of America — 6:44 am ET (1144 GMT)


about spacetoday.net   ·   info@spacetoday.net   ·   mailing list